Monday, January 31, 2011

In our room and resting comfortably

Tahlia was in recovery for about an hour before we got to see her.  She was carried into the recovery room from surgery as she woke up quite quickly.  And then she was able to get her IV out, hence the delay in us seeing her (they had to put a new one in and had trouble).  Anyways, as we walked in the nurse was snuggling her and she looked up when she heard our voices.  She came right to me and cuddled on my shoulder.  We only stayed in recovery for about 10-15 mins before we took her up to our room.  So far we don't have a roommate which is great.  They nursing staff has been fantastic and are very flexible so that it's as easy on Tahlia as possible.  She just got another dose of Tylenol at 2:30 and we tried our first feeding.  Tahlia was very cooperative and ended up taking about 120cc of apple juice/water by syringe in a very short amount of time.  The nurse was very impressed that she did so well on the first try....but that's my girl ~ smart little cookie!!  She's been sleeping off and on most of the afternoon.  We've seen bits of her personality poking through already - interested in the Coke can, pulling her blocks apart, and of course loving her crib music aquarium!  I'm so glad we brought it.
I'm already noticing quite a difference in how Tahlia looks.  There is some swelling and bruising but I'm really amazed at the difference.  I've included some pictures, but if you're squeamish don't look at them.

5 comments:

  1. First things out of my mouth was "awwwww.... poor little thing". But from what you said, she sure is tough. I can't believe she was in surgery, under an anesthetic and now sitting up cuddling. I'm also assuming, LIQUID tylenol? I'm surprised at how few bandages there are. I thought she'd be covered up. What a sigh of relief you must both be feeling. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kitty whiskers!!? gotta love steristrips. they hold the suture line together extremely well, resist little fingers, don't allow large scabs to form , and with a little felt marker they make excellent whiskers. xoxo dad and kathy.talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear surgery went well and everyone seems to be holding up pretty well for the situation.

    She doesn't look too happy in those pictures - but I wouldn't have expected her to. Get her cleaned up and give her a little time to get back to routine and I"m sure those eyes will be sparkling again like usual.

    And remember to keep a close eye on her to make sure that lip heals nicely. These little ones can move so quick - I'd hate to hear of you making return trips to the hospital.

    Take care and thanks for the update.
    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a big difference in how she looks already. She is such a pretty little girl. And sounds like she is fairly feisty too!

    ReplyDelete